Friday, October 18, 2013

Autumn Table Runner


    Picture
    I'm going to show you how I use stencils and stamps and found objects to decorate a table runner that is perfect for autumn.
    Picture
    Various stamps and stencils that I used on this table runner.
    I started with a rectangular piece of cotton that I had snow dyed for the base.  If you are interested in reading more about snow dyeing you can find that here.  My fabric is 9" wide by 63" long. I wanted a piece that was large enough to go across a long table.
    Picture
    I sewed around the edges so that the fabric wouldn't fray when it was washed. Then I started layering with the Classic Pods stencil. I added leaf and acorn stamps around the stenciled image.  I carved these stamps myself.  I like carving my own stamps so that I don't have to worry about copyright issues and so that I can get unique stamps.  You can find the supplies to carve your own stamps here.
    Picture
    After the first layer dried, I added overlapping images next by stenciling through a piece of punchinella and stamping with the bottom of a takeout container. Found objects also make unique stencils and stamps to add more layers.
    Picture
    The last layer I added was a small leaf stamp in some of the white areas.
    Picture
    When I layer on fabric I use a mix of transparent and opaque paints to add more depth to the piece.  On my table runner I used a mix of metallic and flat paints to also add depth.  I love using the Stewart Gill Metamica paint on fabric.  It doesn't bleed, so you get crisp images and it stays soft on the fabric. I used these colors for my table runner.  Sugar Plum, Peach Blush, and Amourosa.  I also used a gold, white, and transparent brown fabric paint.  Don't forget to iron the fabric according to the directions after the paint is dry so that the table runner can be washed.
    Picture
    Picture
    I love how the metallic paint catches the light.
    Picture
    I hope that you try this project and decorate your home for each season.
    You can see more of my projects at my website: http://www.handsandharts.com  This table runner is available to purchase if you would like it to grace your table.

    Janelle

No comments: