Monday, May 23, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
I have been experimenting with handmade sketchbooks recently. I started with my hand dyed cotton fabric, then I stamped layers of different stamps on the fabric. Half of the stamps I carved myself. After I had the layers built up I thread sketched some of the stamped designs and then quilted the fabric. I used poly felt as the batting for a bit of stiffness. I used purchased fabric for the backing. I sewed the cover inside out and then turned it for nice smooth edges before quilting. I used waxed thread to sew the signatures into the cover. Here are pictures of my first two books.