Thursday, December 18, 2014

Felting Fun

I have been playing around with felting lately.  I have started to make some felted ornaments.  I use open cookie cutters to get the shape and fill them with roving and needle felt until it is just the right thickness. I mix in Angelina fibers and sometimes a bit of silk roving or silk waste fibers too.   I need to add some stitching and a ribbon hanger to these.     
We explored felting in my art quilting group this week and I got to play around with a felting machine.   This piece has a thin piece of dyed silk for the background, wool roving, silk sari ribbon made from the waste of a sari factory, dyed batting, and some silk roving.  It is very quick and easy to get a unique piece of felted art using a felting machine. 

 I am also working on a new piece of felted art.  This time I making an angel.  I have needle felted the piece.  Next I will wet felt to get the fibers to felt much better.  Then I will add some more needle felting and some stitching.  I'll share more pictures when she is further along. 




 I hope that you have a wonderful holiday season.  I'm looking forward to relaxing and spending a lot of time with family and friends the next couple of weeks. 

Janelle

No comments: