Friday, December 27, 2013

Joy Prayer Flag

      Picture

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope that everyone is having a great week and celebrating life with your family.  I decided to make a bright and colorful prayer flag so that I would be reminded of the Joy of the holiday season all year long.

      I started with a piece of muslin on which I had printed a single layer mono-print.
      Picture
      I used the Celestial Stencil to add some bright patterning to the flag.
      Picture
      Over the top of that I add another texture layer using the Picasso stencil from the TEXTures 2 series.
      Picture
      I folded over the top of the prayer flag and stitched it down with embroidery floss to make a hanging pocket.  I added the word joy by couching down some recycled silk fibers.  They add wonderful texture and a fun look.  I stitched around the word with white thread so that it stood out from the background more.  I added a few more stitches here and there for extra interest.  I added some ribbon that I dyed to the bottom of the flag to finish it off.
      Picture
      Picture
      Here is a photo that I took in better lighting. 
      Picture
      Here are some prayer flags hanging above my desk.  I made some of them and some I received in a prayer flag exchange. 
      Picture
      You can see more of my art at my website www.handsandharts.com
      Have a wonderful weekend.
      Janelle

No comments: