Friday, February 14, 2014

Drippy Dylusions


    I have been inspired to play with Dylusions Ink Sprays this week.  I am taking Lifebook this year and Tam has us creating fun pages using Dylusions. I wanted to play with them on a canvas.  I love the bright clear colors and all the effects that you can create with these sprays.  I wanted to leave some white space, achieve some great drips and build up the color.  I hope that you enjoy how my canvas developed.


    §  Dylusions Ink Sprays in: London Blue, Fresh Lime, Vibrant Turquoise, and Cut Grass

    §  Stencils: TEXTures 2 Miro and PicassoStar Coral and Sea Foam

    §  FW acrylic inks in: Genesis Green, Galatic Blue, Waterfall Green, and Turquoise

    §  Golden fluid acrylic paint in: Teal, Ultramarine Blue, and White

    §  Pitt pens in Blue and Turquoise 

    §  12" x 12" canvas

    I started by laying the two TEXTures stencils on my canvas and spraying the ink sprays through them.  Then I flipped them over into the blank areas and blotted the back with a paper towel to get the excess ink off the stencils and onto the canvas. I let this dry, as I will after each step, so that I have more control of the inks.
    I made a couple of puddles of Dylusions in the middle of the canvas with London Blue and Cut Grass.  I added some water and I splattered the ink around with the brush.  I also tapped the brush to move the ink onto the canvas.  You want to get a bit messy and get the ink to move over the canvas.  Next I tipped the canvas so that the ink ran down to the edge.  While the ink was still wet I added drops of the acrylic inks to the wet puddles.  I tipped the canvas again to get these to run to the edge also.  I did a bit of blending to get the ink to blend a bit in the middle.
    After this was dry I took out the star coral stencil and sprayed more Dylusions into the two corners.  I off-set the stencil so that it wasn't directly over the previous layer. I flipped it like last time to get off some of the excess ink.  I made sure to leave the upper corner untouched so that I could have some white space.
    I repeated this same process with the sea foam stencil.  I used a damp brush to blend the inks around my focal point and in some other areas.  I decided at this point the my painting wanted to become a jellyfish in the water.
    I added more acrylic inks and water to the jellyfish and let it drip more.  I wanted this little guy to have a lot of tentacles.  I blended the inks in the body of the jellyfish more as well.
    I used the stencils again with some fluid acrylics to add back some of the patterns that got covered when I sprayed through the sea foam stencil.  After I was done I blended out the edges of each area so that there wasn't such a harsh line.  I used the teal paint to cover the edges and the sides of the canvas.
    I love how the drips went onto the sides of the canvas to continue the painting.
    I used my Pitt pens to define the jellyfish and its tentacles.  I also added a few water droplets to the top corner of the canvas.
    I love how this canvas developed.  I seem to be drawn to these water stencils and colors right now, maybe because everything is still white and frozen where I live.  The only thing that I would like to try now is using these same methods on an unprimed canvas.  The canvas that I used had gesso already and the Dylusions tended to bead up instead of sinking into the canvas.  I think that the colors would have been a bit more vibrant on an unprimed canvas.  I hope that you have some fun playing with Dylusions and seeing firsthand how fun they are to use.
    You can view more of my art on my website at

No comments: