Friday, February 21, 2014

Fabric Postcards

    Picture

    I was looking up some information on fiber art when I found a website that is full of information and inspiration for fiber artists.  It is a whole website dedicated to creating and sending fabric postcards around the world called Postmark'd Art. I decided that making fabric postcards would be a great project for my post this week.

    I wanted to go with a spring theme so I started out by coloring a piece of white cotton, large enough to make nine postcards, with a yellow Derwent Inktense block.  I sprayed my fabric lightly with water and added the yellow color.  I made some areas intensely yellow and some more pale.  I blended it all together with a brush and textile medium.  I let this layer dry.
    Picture
    I used three colors of Metamica paints and Tam's Butterfly Wings stencil to add butterflies over the yellow background.
    Picture
    I used some of my hand carved stamps and more Metamica paints to add flowers and dragonflies over the butterflies.
    Picture
    I added splatters and drops of pearlescent acrylic inks to get some more contrast.  I let all the paint dry completely and then I heat set the paint.
    Picture
    Next I layered a piece of cotton flannel and muslin with my painted fabric and I free motion stitched a wavy pattern over the entire piece. I didn't want the postcard to be too thick, so the flannel makes the perfect batting.
    Picture
    I choose some fibers from the Pacific mix and hand stitched them over the surface.
    Picture
    I then cut the piece into nine pieces that were a little smaller than 4" x 6" postcard size.  I picked one piece to add details to and finish off for mailing.
    Picture
    On this card I added some more hand stitching.  Next I layered another piece of muslin, a piece of stabilizer and the quilted postcard.  I satin stitched around the edges and trimmed off the excess fabric.
    Picture
    Now my postcard is ready to add an address and a message and be sent off to a new home.
    Picture
    I hope that I have inspired you to make some fiber mail art.  It is fun and easy to personalize these small pieces of art.  Sending them through the mail should bring a smile to the recipient and some postal workers too.
    Janelle
    You can view more of my art on my website at www.handsandharts.com

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Janelle!

Wow - this is SO cool! I love the addition of the free motion stitching and all the lovely fibers - and the concept in and of itself is just wonderful! Bravo, xoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks Kristin,
It is a really neat concept and I'm glad that you like my postcard. I love making small pieces of art.