Friday, September 13, 2013

Autumn Greeting Cards

Picture
This week I am sharing a mixed media project that uses fabric, stenciling and stamping all in a layer of beeswax. This is a good way to use up small bits of fabric and lace and to make your own greeting cards.  The best part is the lovely smell of the beeswax.

I started with cardstock card blanks.  Heavier cardstock will hold up better to the beeswax.

I cut pieces of fabric and lace the length and width that I wanted for the first layer.  I choose fabrics from my stash that reminded me of the beautiful colors of autumn.
Picture
Layer the fabrics and stitch them to the cards when you are happy with the placement.  Use a long stitch length so that the cardstock doesn't become perforated and rip.
Picture
Using the stencils from the playful pod series I added designs beside the fabric layer.   I use browns and greens to go with the autumn theme.
Picture
I also used a hand carved leaf stamp to add designs on some of the cards.
Picture
I used Distress Ink pads in wild honey, vintage photo, and tea dye to stamp the leaves.

I used a hand carved acorn stamp to stamp images on some white tissue paper.  I used a

StazOn ink pad in timber brown.  Later I added these to the cards between layers of beeswax.
Picture
I used a quilting iron to start adding beeswax over the entire front of the card.  I held the iron onto the wax until I had some drips on the card and then I smoothed them out with the iron.  When I had a nice layer of beeswax I placed the pieces of the acorn tissue paper on some of the cards.  I added beeswax over the tissue paper to seal it to the card.

I went over the entire card again with the quilting iron to smooth out the beeswax.   I also hit it with my heat gun to make sure that everything was fused.  Don’t worry if it isn’t completely smooth, the texture is part of the fun of using beeswax.
Picture
I bought my beeswax from a honey store.
I sprinkled on some Pearl Ex powder in interference gold to parts of the card, rubbed it in with my finger and went over it with the quilting iron.   I wanted to fuse the powder to the card, but I didn’t completely cover it with the beeswax.

I rubbed Inka Gold onto the edges of the card as well.  I love the shimmer that the gold adds to the card.  Gold just seems to go well with autumn.

Inside the front I glued on another piece of white cardstock.  I glued a piece of painted paper to the center of the cardstock.  After the glue was dry I rubbed a bit of Inka Gold onto the painted paper.  These extra papers protect the stitching, cover the beeswax that leaks through the paper, and makes the inside of the card extra pretty.
Picture
For the last step I sprayed some copper glitter spray to the inside of the card.

I didn’t add a sentiment yet, I’ll wait until I am ready to send the card.  That way I have cards that I can use for any occasion.

Here are the five cards that I made.  I hope that you go and make some unique greeting cards of your own.
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
You can see more of my work on my website
Have a great weekend,
Janelle

No comments: