Saturday, January 25, 2014

Playing with Yupo Paper


Picture
I got some Yupo paper for Christmas and I finally got a chance to play around with it.  Play is good for us, right?  I didn't have a plan other than to see how wet media moved around on this synthetic paper.  I tried using watercolors, alcohol inks, and Dylusions sprays just to get a feel for the paper. I loved how the alcohol inks and the Dylusions worked the best. For my page today I decided to use the Dylusions sprays.

I started by cleaning the paper to make sure it didn't have any oils or dirt that would repel the inks.  I sprayed the surface with the inks and tipped the paper up and let them run.  I also sprayed the inks with a little water to encourage them to flow and run together. I used these colors of Dylusions: Lemon Zest, Crushed Grape, Funky Fuchsia, London Blue, and Vibrant Turquoise.  I love how the inks beaded up and ran together on this paper.
Picture
I chose to use some of Tam's Whimsy stencils on this page. I used Whimsy Town and Hearts and Stars and I stenciled with black acrylic paint.
Picture
I saw a face peeking out at me from the drips so I had to include her on my page.  I drew her with Derwent Inktense pencils which I activated with a damp brush.  This also activated the sprays again.  Since I was drawing a found face I went with what I saw, so she isn't a classically beautiful girl.  She is full of quirks and oddities, which I think make her a lot of fun. I added some details and a bit of shading with the brush and the inks.  I also used some gesso to add a heart to the paper.
Picture
I added darker details with markers and added highlights to her eyes with gesso.  I also added a few smaller hearts to the page.
Picture
I added words to the large heart with my Pitt pen and added dots in the letters with a turquoise Sharpie paint pen.  The girl that appeared on my page wanted to get this sentiment across : Protect the Vulnerable.  There are many marginalized people and animals that can use our help every day.  I'll leave that thought with you along with the fun of using Yupo synthetic paper.
Picture
Picture
Janelle
You can see more of my art at: www.handsandharts.com

No comments: