Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Calm

Picture

I finished painting  "Calm" this past weekend.  I entered it into the JCAA 24th Annual Potter Center Juried Art Exhibition yesterday. If it makes it into the show it will be on display at the Potter Center Gallery from September 28th to October 28th.  This gallery is at Jackson College's Potter center 2111 Emmons Road Jackson, MI.

I started out this painting by creating layer upon layer in the background.  I wanted a rich textured background to peek through the painting.  It is fun and therapeutic to create this way without worrying about getting it perfect.  This is the finished background.    
Picture
I painted the picture on top of this.  I used glazes in some areas so that I could make sure that the background showed through. In other areas I used opaque paint, but the texture still shows through. I used acrylic ink to add drips under the plant and at the top.  Some of the dips are pearlescent and some are matte.  I like the combination of shimmer with flatter areas.  I added butterflies with iridescent medium which shimmers and stays raised as well, to add another punch of texture, which I love so much.
"Calm" is 18" x 24"  It is painted on a gallery wrapped canvas with painted sides and is ready to hang.  It will be up for sale soon.     
"Calm", a force for calm and peace in a chaotic world.  Be well grounded, but participate fully in life and the beautiful things that exist all around us.
Have a great week,
Janelle

No comments: