My daughter, Katrina, and I did some snow dyeing this weekend. We each did a piece of cotton and a piece of silk. We took our fabric that was soaked in a soda ash solution and loosely crumpled it on a screen over a tub. Then we covered each one completely with snow. After that we took our dye solution (using fiber reactive dyes for natural fibers) and decorated the snow- squirting the dye all over in no particular order. We covered the whole thing with plastic and left it to sit. As the snow melts the dye is carried into the fabric and sets. This method produces some really pretty patterns in the fabric. The next afternoon I washed everything out and discovered some beautiful fabric.
The silk is first. It takes the dye much lighter and more pastel than the cotton.
The first cotton piece, followed by some close-ups.
The second cotton piece, followed by some close-ups.
I hope you enjoy the pictures and I can share more of my methods if anyone wants to know.