Monday, January 30, 2012

Painting, drawing, and book altering

I have been working on a few projects the past week and I'm finally ready to share them.
The first is a doodle that I painted a face over for the doodles unleashed class.
Blue Can Be Happy Too
The face was difficult for me.  I had to rework it a bit so I could be happy with her.  It was a lot of fun even though I'm new to making faces and it got a bit frustrating every now and then. I like the painting quite a bit now.  I'm sure that I will continue to improve as I practice.

The next thing is my latest drawing for Lifebook.  This one isn't done yet.  I need to add folds to the clothing, and more shading, along with some words.  This project was a bit scary since I did hatching and cross hatching with a pen.  No going back and erasing when I don't like it.  I will continue to practice more people and shading, so that I will eventually improve- I hope.  Here they are still a work in progress.
The last project that I am working on all the time is my book of days.  I have a couple of pages complete and some backgrounds started on this Monday.




Pretty soon I will be starting to sew for the high school musical that my daughter is in.  It is Hello Dolly this year.  I am seeing a lot of ruffles and lace in my future.  After seeing all the dresses that we have to work with yesterday I am getting pretty excited about altering them and dolling up a bunch of girls.  The Victorian era clothing is fun to play with even though I don't want to wear it every day.
Have a good week,
Janelle

6 comments:

Kristin said...

You've been busy! I LOVE your face and background from Traci's class and love your LB portrait(s) - I don't know if I'll get to Bonnie's piece, but this sure is an inspiration, thank you! xoxo

Becca said...

Hi Janelle! I love your pages, and your faces look great! I think they are hard to do and it seems like it takes me forever to complete one. Have fun with your daughters musical! Hope you show us what you are working on!

joanna said...

Your faces look great Janelle! I have a hard time with them too. Thank you for your visits and your kind words :))
xoxo

Joanna said...

What wonderful works of art Janelle, I can tell you're really enjoying life book!!

& wow, I can't believe you'll be doing costumes, how exciting!!

xoxo

Sandra Tyler said...

This book of days is really delightful and interesting. Great idea. And as for the face, I like that she's a bit abstract; not to worry too much about likeness. I began in drawing and painting before moving to fiber, but this makes me want to pick up some of my pens . Happy to follow another creative soul.

Daniele Valois said...

Wonderful work Janelle! Love it all!!! I still haven't done Bonnie's piece yet. Soon...