Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer of Color-3

This week the SOC colors are lavender, grey, and a splash of plum  These color were fun and inspired me to design a panel that wasn't a flower.  I challenged myself to make every quilt block in this series relate to nature and have both machine and hand stitching.  It is nice to create different themes for each block. So far I haven't added any backing or done much quilting in the backgrounds.  I am planning on adding those details when all the blocks are done.
Picture
These are the fabrics that I dyed for this project.  I don't have any plum dye so I used a dark purple/red that I already had on hand.  My lavender looks bluer in the photo than it is in real life, because my camera has problems with purples.  It is a lovely color and one of my favorites.     
Picture
I knew what elements I wanted to use in this block from the beginning, but I played around with the placement a bit.  I finally came up with something like this.
Picture
I fused the fabrics down after I placed them just like I wanted and machine stitched the ground, tree, and the darker part of the sky.  Then I added stitches for the leaves of the tree.
Picture
Picture
I hope you enjoyed this week of SOC.  You can see what the other artists are up to on this page.
I'll see you next week,
Janelle

No comments: