Saturday, July 12, 2014

Summer of Color-5

The colors for SOC this week are red, royal blue, and a touch of light blue.
Picture
I have a lot of blue fabrics and a bit of red that was enough for my plan for this week. I decided to dye a piece of fabric royal blue so that I had a piece dark enough.  I have been wanting to make a royal blue piece for a while, so this was the perfect time to make one. Here is my selection of fabrics for this week.  The one that looks white is actually a pale blue. 
Picture
Here is more of the piece of royal blue fabric that I dyed. 
Picture
In keeping with my nature theme I decided to make a bird on my quilt block for this week.  We have a lot of birds where I live and I enjoy watching them.  I loved creating this little bright bird.  I used my pale blue piece of fabric for the background.  Even though we were only supposed to use a touch of blue, this piece made a perfect backdrop.  There is only a touch of blue dye in the fabric, so it fits well enough for me.  I also added just a touch of light blue stitching to the bird feathers on the tummy and tail.  I also added some cream like a real bird would have.  I couldn't help but add some white swirls to the sky.  I love the movement that the swirls add to the background.  
Picture
I used rayon threads in the free motion stitching so that the feathers would shimmer in the light. 
Picture
I hope that you enjoy my submission for SOC this week.   Next week will be the last week and quilt block that I'm making for this quilt.  I hope to see you next week.
Janelle

1 comment:

JessiVille said...

Hi Janelle! I haven't been around for a while but thought I'd try and stop by a few blogs. Of course I came hare and I LOVE your bird quilt block for Summer of Color! I will need to go back thru your other posts to catch up and hop on over to Kristin's site as well. Hope everything is going well for you!